The Charter Oak was an unusually large white oak tree growing, from around the 12th or 13th century until 1856, on what the English colonists named Wyllys Hyll. The name "Charter Oak" stems from the local legend in which a cavity within the tree was used in late 1687 as a hiding place for the Constitution charter.The oak was blown down in a violent storm about 150 years later. An image of the Charter Oak is on the Connecticut quarter
Wadsworth Hiding the Charter. Capitol Building.
Charter Oak Fell. Aug. 21, 1856. Corner of Charter Oak Avenue and Charter Oak Place.
A photo of the state librarian installing the above plaque in 1910. On display at the State Library Museum.